psx4droid (PSX Emulator)
Aug 2, 2010 12:49 PM –
psx4droid (PSX Emulator). psx4droid, the Sony Playstation (PSX/PS1) emulator for high-end Androids. Fast and feature packed including: Uses formats BIN, ISO, IMG, PBP, Z, ZNX, and Eboot (compressed too), WiiMote controller works, Trackball dpad, Memory card & save states, Virtual control overlays, Scaling modes, and more!
psx4droid is no longer available in the Android Market. You can only get it from AndroidTapp.com Store!
Pros & Cons:
- Play Sony PlayStation games on Android devices
- Google removed the app from the Android Market
- Convoluted setup, involves desktop intervention and highly technical
- Some games are slow and laggy even on higher end Android devices
psx4droid is a PlayStation and PSP game emulator for Android. Were you or are you still are a PSX gamer?!? This app brings back the joy and excitement of late 90′s/early 2000 game titles whether you have still have the original console or not. Once the emulator is installed and properly configured, plus you’ve found game ROMs, you can play and control with save states to resume later plus on screen multi-touch enabled Dpad controller.
Gripe Alert: If you’re interested in old game console emulators and have experience with them then you know the burden levels involved in setting them up and more problematic finding good ROMs in the file types the emulator supports. I guess you can’t complain too much as you’re getting this play access for [cough] free. But at least the six dollar app should come with the vital scph1001.bin file at start up versus you hunting it down on the Internet when greeted with the “You MUST specify the BIOS file in the settings before you can play any games” error message at first launch.
The other major caveats are that the emulator do not support ECM file type ROMs therefore you must convert them to BIN file types to play. Some ROMs are laggy even on higher end Android devices (I have Street Fighter Extreme on Nexus One and still have stutter in game play and sound). Lastly, not related to the app but finding good ROMs are a pain on some sites. We’ve found DopeRoms to be the best site without all the run-arounds for ROMs.
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Playing Street Fighter Extreme 1
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Playing Street Fighter Extreme 2
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Playing Street Fighter Extreme 3
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Playing Street Fighter Extreme 5
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Playing Street Fighter Extreme 4
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Playing Street Fighter Extreme 6
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Save Game Slots
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Select ROM
psx4droid PlayStation Emulator Settings Menu
6 Steps on How to Setup and Configure psx4droid to Play ROMs
Please note: AndroidTapp.com is not responsible for the files suggested to download in the instructions below, we’re here to give you instructions on how to setup and use the app.
- Purchase and download psx4droid in the Android Market (use the QR barcodes above to scan), but don’t open the app yet… we need a BIOS file.
- Download and extract the BIOS file “scph1001.bin”, you can find it here while it lasts: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WL18L5BV.
- Connect your phone via USB and create a folder “psx4droid” on your SD Card, then copy the scph1001.bin file in that new folder.
- We recommend you browse and download games from DopeRoms, else you can find them elsewhere and in torrent sites, and copy downloaded BIN file games in to the psx4droid folder. If they are not in BIN format see below. Update: search and download ROMs via Rom Search Plus app $2.69.
- Update: convert ECM files to BIN file directly on your Android phone with un-ECM for DROID app $0.99. (If applicable) If the games are in ECM format, you’ll need to convert them. To convert ECM ROMs to BIN format download and install EMC v1.0.
- Virus scan and extract ECM to your desktop or somewhere you can find the full file path later. Open the file “unecm.exe” and use like so by typing:
unecm ecmfile [outputfile]
“ecmfile” must end in .ecm. If output file is not specified, it defaults to ecm file minus the .ecm suffix.
- (Note: if ECM or UNECM immediately opens and closes) go to Start » Run » type “cmd” hit enter then change directories to where you saved the ECM v1.0 files. For example if it’s on your Desktop do “cd C:\Users\[Whatever User's name]\Desktop”, then follow the usage steps from above
- Open psx4droid, once greeted with the error message “You MUST specify the BIOS file in the settings before you can play any games”, point to the psx4droid folder created. Then select your game ROM and go!
Thanks ap3604 via soukounian!
Tags: Android App
, Android Apps
, Android Game
, AndroidTapp.com App Review
, PSX Emulator
, psx4droid (PSX Emulator)
, Sony PlayStation Emulator
Categorised in: Arcade & Action
for review, promote apps
, get more installs with better app videos