Livio Radio Kit. Stream Music, Internet Radio and Calls via Bluetooth in Your Car! [Video]
Nov 15, 2011 8:02 AM –
Livio Radio Kit is an awesome Bluetooth aftermarket attachment that enables you to stream music, Internet radio plus make hands-free calls using your existing car radio and speaker system. There is an accompanying mobile app for Android and iOS which tightly integrates these software and hardware features (more in our review of the Android app.) We’ve thoroughly tested the device and added a hand-ons video review of Livio Radio Kit to give you a better determination of why you should buy it!
Price: $99.99 – $119.99
Tested on: Nexus One
Pros & Cons:
- Very cost effective solution for cars not equipped with built-in Bluetooth music streaming and calling!
- A safer way to control your phone’s music without touching or looking at your phone!
- Stream and control your own music library, use other streaming radio apps like Pandora & Slacker or even YouTube, plus get access to thousands of free streaming Internet radio stations with Livio Car Internet Radio app!
- Favorite stations, share songs plus tag songs to access later!
- Inconsistency in automatic launch to play experience with the Livio Car Internet Radio app, which resulted in force close errors.
Who Should Buy This Device?
Livio Radio Kit, while strongly intended for use with Livio’s Android and iOS apps, does not stop there as you can stream your personal music library on your phone, use other streaming radio apps, conduct hands-free calls, plus we’ve found that you can operate Voice Actions! Livio Radio Kit shines in three key areas: Features, Safety, and Cost. It’s actually suitable for anyone who seek easier in-car Bluetooth entertainment via their smartphone without all the need for the techno jazz or huge expense associated, plus you can easily take it to any car. Let’s dive in…
If your fancy wasn’t tickled enough in what this device can do, then head to our Livio Car Internet Radio app review or video below… the Bluetooth Kit does more! We’ve found a gem-feature whereas you can conduct voice actions with either native Android (may require touching the phone) or go even sexier and use Vlingo In-Car app for complete hands-free calling, texting and emailing!
With all the higher tech toys making their way into the car, touch screen phones tend to be some of the more dangerous attention-takers. However, with the Kit’s tactile interface, operating it without necessarily looking away from the road becomes a breeze. Even sweeter, it doesn’t cost as much as installing in-dash aftermarket systems if your car didn’t have it baked in.
One limitation I must point out deals with maximum volume and sound quality in some of the music streamed through the device or the underlying “hissing” sound in your FM radio station, this is not a result of the device but combined the reduced audio quality is noticeable. Ways to improve this limitation a bit revolve around whether you have a good speaker system in your car such as Bose audio, or other software-based tweaks such as if you have an SRS or Dolby Digital audio enhancement feature on your phone.
Livio Radio Kit Video Review:
Watch on Mobile
Livio Radio Kit may initially look unorthodox with its spiny but maneuverable gooseneck for positioning to your finger tip’s gesture. I actually like that as it is an immediate conversation starter for me when passengers hop into the car. Especially at night as it’s lit up in bold blue LED hues. Made of sleek black plastic it feels light and sturdy. The buttons around and including the volume knob have a nice gripping rubber (which make turning the volume up/down with one figure possible whereas the norm would be to use two fingers). Taking a trip around the device interface yields the following:
Livio Radio Kit Button Features Diagram
- Tuning/Volume Knob: Controls volume, manual station entry, scan and switching between US and EU modulation.
- Pause: Press to temporarily stop the audio. Press Play button to resume audio.
- Previous or Rewind: Skip backwards through stations in the Presets and Favorites Menus.
- Blank Button: Not used at this time.
- Next or Fast-Forward: Skip forward through stations on the Presets and Favorites Menus.
- End Call: End call button.
- Microphone: This is where the hidden noise-canceling microphone is located for voice activation and phone calls.
- Start Call Button: Press to activate the voice dialing function on your phone. Double-press to activate the re-dial function. When a call is coming in to your phone, press to answer the call.
- Scan (Livio app only): Press to find a station similar to the one currently playing.
- Tag (Livio app only): Put the name and artist of the song.
- Launch Livio app: Press to launch Livio Car Internet Radio app. Note that the auto launch command only works from the home screen (as permitted by Apple iOS). Press and hold for 3 seconds to toggle the auto launch when the Kit is powered on.
- Play Button: Sends the play command to your device to play music.
- LED Display: Displays the FM station being used for transmission or volume of the Kit.
- Stop Button: Sends the stop command to your device to stop music.
- USB Charging Port: Charge your phone or other USB-powered devices by connecting them through this port.
- Charging/Software Update Switch: To enable charging by the Kit, the lightning bolt must be selected.
- A/B Software Select Switch: For the Kit to work with an Apple product, the switch must be positioned on side ‘B.’ Side ‘A’ is not used at this time.
- Gooseneck Release Button: Press and slide down to remove the Kit from gooseneck. The Kit will not work if it is not connected to the gooseneck.
- Line output (AUX Output): Sends a variable stereo audio output to any car stereo equipped with a 1/8” (3.5mm) stereo auxiliary (AUX) input. Connect to your stereo with the included AUX cable.
- Line Input (AUX Input): Receives a stereo audio signal from any connected audio player (MP3, CD, etc).
- Base of Gooseneck: Secures the Kit.
- Fuse Removal: To replace fuse, unscrew the end counter clockwise and remove fuse. Fuse type is on the last page of this user guide.
- Gooseneck: Allows for flexible viewing angles.
- Power Button: When you turn off your vehicle, if the 12V power supply does not shut off automatically, you will need to turn off the power switch on the Kit manually. Most vehicles will shut off the power supply on their own but the car battery may drain if you leave the Kit on while the vehicle is shut off. You can easily tell if there is power by the blue power on light on the base of the Kit.
Livio Radio Kit Photos:
Livio Radio Kit
Livio Radio Kit In-Car
Livio Radio Kit Tune Knob Closeup
Livio Radio Kit Call Buttons Closeup
Livio Radio Kit Top View Showing Line In-Out Ports
Livio Radio Kit Bottom View Showing USB Charing Port
Livio Radio Kit with Gooseneck
Livio Radio Kit Button Features Diagram
Tags: Android App
, Android Apps
, AndroidTapp.com App Review
, Listen to Music via Bluetooth
, Livio Car Internet Radio
, Livio Car Internet Radio Lite
, Livio Car Internet Radio Pro
, Livio Radio Kit
, streaming audio
, Streaming Music App
, Streaming Radio
Categorised in: Android Devices, Featured, News
for review, promote apps
, get more installs with better app videos