EXCLUSIVE: AT&T Mobile Barcode Stats. Using Barcodes as Creative Advertising Platform
Sep 17, 2010 5:15 PM –
Prior to reviewing AT&T’s Code Scanner app for Android (also available for iPhone and Blackberry) we spoke to AT&T executives; Evan McDonald (Sr. Marketing Manager – Industry Solutions) and Rob Russell (Associate Director-Product Marketing Management) about their initiatives with mobile barcodes, AT&T’s goals with the technology in which they shared interesting statistics about mobile barcodes.
Key Mobile Barcode Stats (U.S.):
- According to Consumer Goods Technology Magazine, 49% of respondents say mobile barcodes have tremendous potential in the next 1-5 years
- 80% of US consumers surveyed expressed interest in scanning mobile barcodes
- 58% indicated willingness to download a code scanner solutions (22% prefer a preload)
- 63% want a code scanner solution from their carrier
- 69% said they would scan to receive coupons and discounts
According to a custom ABI research report (April 2010)
Looking at survey statistics from more mature Japanese market gives indicators of the possibilities in the U.S.
Key Mobile Barcode Stats (Japan):
- 86% of consumers scan 4 or more times a month
- 81% of consumers scan for discounts and coupons
- 73% of scans occur on websites
- 67% scan to navigate to a website rather than typing the URL
- 52% scan ads seeking more information
- 39% scan to win prizes
- Wide spread adoption in Japan was a direct result of wireless carriers driving awareness in order to drive revenue from mobile data plans
Data obtained in customer survey conducted by AT&T for Japanese audience.
Many of our techno friends have this belief that because QR barcodes have been prominent everywhere else in the world except in the U.S. and it is reaching its demise, however we beg to differ as this technology is only in its infancy and anticipated to flourish. We see this as an innovative and interactive advertising platform and AT&T notes consumer barcode scanning represents the next generation of interactive targeted marketing, enabling advertisers to deliver relevant content and offers to consumers. Back in February we even broke the exclusive on how The Weather Channel is using QR barcodes on their television broadcasts prompting Android phone owners to scan and download their weather app. There are infinite use cases even as it matures, check out a few more examples of creative mobile barcode advertising.
Indirect Barcode Scanning: Taking the Technology to the Next Level
QR barcodes (like those present on AndroidTapp.com to download Android apps) these are “direct barcodes” which are static as the embedded message is pre-populated. AT&T’s Mobile Barcode Charter Program is pioneering “indirect barcodes” meaning codes are interactive and the embedded content can be changed to suit advertising needs as scan reaches back to the cloud matching the message. This also offers features like analytics with geo-location and possibly demographics information for marketers.
AT&T is working closely with the companies presently participating in the program to test consumer response rates as well as the effectiveness of consumer barcode scanning technology as an interactive marketing vehicle.
More information about AT&T’s Mobile Barcode initiatives can be found on their website.
Tags: AT&T Code Scanner
, AT&T’s Mobile Barcode Charter Program
, Bar Code Scanning
, Barcode Scanner
, Creative Mobile Barcode Advertising
, Direct Barcode Scanning
, Indirect Barcode Scanning
, Mobile Barcodes
Categorised in: Apps Blog, Featured, News
for review, promote apps
, get more installs with better app videos