Jan 11, 2010 7:50 AM –
Choice Dialer is a beefed-up Android Voice Dialer, adding the iPhone 3GS’s Voice Control commands for on-phone music play with speedy short cuts to schedule calendar events and call reminders as well as a little whimsy if you should ask, “What does a cow say?”
AndroidTapp.com Android App Review:
Pros & Cons
- Really cool enhancement to the default Voice Dialer application by Google
- Launch apps, schedule appointments, play music, and initiate phone calls by voice
- Buggy on HTC Hero and Android 2.0+ phones
Choice Dialer Android App is Hot! It reminds me of my Windows Mobile days, I had this feature to speak commands to the phone. With Choice Dialer you can launch apps, schedule appointments, initiate phone calls, and play music by voice. There’s a separate plugin to support more control on music playback with voice for Android phones called Choice Dialer DJ. To use it, Longpress the phone’s answer button until Choice Dialer dialogue appears, then speak your command and confirm. You can even set it to confirm or not to confirm outgoing phone calls.
Choice Dialer lets you call, text and email contacts, play music and schedule calendar events and calls with simple spoken commands:
- “Call Bob Jones at work”
- “Schedule an event for Tuesday at 3 PM”
- “Play music by the Beatles”
- “Play the song ‘Yesterday'”
- “Edit contact for Jane Smith”
- “Remind me to call Sue Conley in 2 hours”
- “Dial 617-492-5233”
Choice Dialer Listening for Voice Command
Choice Dialer Call Command Found Options
Choice Dialer as Default Phone Longpress Option
Choice Dialer Scheduling Events Calendar
Choice Dialer Settings Menu
Choice Dialer Settings Menu 2
Choice Dialer can be very useful for initiating common tasks you would otherwise tapp a few screens to do. Great for making calls while driving with Bluetooth (reduces looking away from the road when you use it in combination with disabling phone call confirmations).
Ease of Use:
Speaking clearly and not loudly in a place with low background noise yields the best results.
How to set Choice Dialer as your Default Voice Dialer
- When installed and you longpress the phone’s answer button, you’ll be prompted which app to use. To set Choice Dialer, check the box that says, “Use by default for this action” then select the app.
Most likely sparingly, but if used properly you would find yourself using it more often to save time with cool voice-enabled shortcuts.